My boyfriend's mother prepared this for us on holiday... I don't normally like canned-tuna, but the layer of fresh flavors that break through in this sandwich are outstanding! I've never measured the ingredients when I've made this, so these are all approximations. Fresh bread and tomatoes are a must!
- Using a small bowl, mix olive oil and red wine vinegar together.
- Place onions in mixture and let marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- When ready, set out bottom slice of bread, drizzle thinly with the oil-vinegar mixture, and layer onions.
- Follow with capers and olives, tuna, tomato, leaf green, drizzled lightly with oil-vinegar mixture and top slice of bread.
- Squish everything together and let sit for a few minutes while you clean up, bring plenty of napkins, this is one messy sandwich!
This was excellent. The only difference is I used fresh tuna instead of canned, but I doubt that will make a big difference.
pretty good sandwich. the vinegar mixture really compliments the flavors of the rest of the ingredients. next time i think i'll skip the capers and add some cheese.
Had this the other day for lunch and it was outstanding! A very good combinations of flavours. The only change I made was to add some toasted pine nuts for texture. Oh, I also hollowed out some of the soft bread to make a "pocket" for the filling. Little less messy that way, and I add the bread to my ongoing breadcrumb collection.