A very tasty dish, the flavor of the tuna salad with the marinated green beans is one you just cant miss. Chilling in the refrigerator overnight is best but could be ready to serve in one to two hours.
- 1 cup fresh tomato, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 large garlic cloves, or to taste, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped or to taste
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, steamed
- 1 red bell pepper, medium, seeded, sliced thinly
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bread, tomato herb or your choice
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- In medium mixing bowl combine diced tomato, 1 tablespoon oil, lemon juice, mustard, 2 large cloves of garlic finely chopped, and dried basil. Mix well and let stand for five minutes. Add tuna, celery, and fresh basil to tomato mixture and combine well. Cover and refrigerate for one to two hours or overnight. Stir before serving.
- In another medium bowl, add remaining fresh basil, fresh oregano, and vinegar. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes. Add onion and remaining garlic. Set aside.
- Rinse fresh green beans well and snap ends off. Drop beans into medium pot of boiling water just until they begin to get tender. Drain green beans. Add drained beans, red pepper strips and cherry tomatoes to herb vinegar mixture. Mix well and refrigerate for one hour.
- When ready to serve, drizzle olive oil on bread slices, grill lightly, and than arrange of large platter. Stir tuna salad and mound on top of grilled bread slices. Add remaining olive oil, salt and pepper to green bean mixture. Combine well and spoon green bean mixture around grilled bread slices with tuna. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.