First prize winner, 1995; Build a Better Burger Contest. Vincent Grosse, Marietta, Georgia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers in brine, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb fresh tuna steak, trimmed and ground
- 1/4 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 whole green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chardonnay wine
- 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/3-1/2 cup dried plain breadcrumbs
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained well on paper towels and cut into small pieces
- mixed baby greens
- 1Make the mayonnaise: combine all ingredients in a small bowl; mix well; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using to allow flavors to blend.
- 2Prepare a med-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover or preheat a gas grill to med-high.
- 3Make the patties: combine the tuna, bell pepper, onion, Chardonnay, mustard, olive oil, and seasoned salt in a bowl.
- 4Handling tuna as little as possible to prevent compacting it, mix well, adding just enough bread crumbs to hold the mixture together.
- 5Divide mixture into 4 equal portions; form portions into patties to fit the buns.
- 6When grill is ready, brush grill rack with vegetable oil; place patties on the rack; cover and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 3-4 minutes on each side for med-rare.
- 7During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- 8During last minute of cooking, place 1 slice of cheese on each patty to melt.
- 9To assemble: spread mayonnaise over the cut sides of the buns; on each bun bottom, place an equal portion of the artichoke hearts, a few greens, and a patty; add the bun tops and serve.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Tuna Burgers With Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.8
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.9 mg
- Sodium 622.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 41.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: