Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 mins
First prize winner, 1995; Build a Better Burger Contest. Vincent Grosse, Marietta, Georgia.
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers in brine, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb fresh tuna steak, trimmed and ground
- 1⁄4 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 whole green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chardonnay wine
- 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup dried plain breadcrumbs
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained well on paper towels and cut into small pieces
- mixed baby greens
- Make the mayonnaise: combine all ingredients in a small bowl; mix well; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using to allow flavors to blend.
- Prepare a med-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover or preheat a gas grill to med-high.
- Make the patties: combine the tuna, bell pepper, onion, Chardonnay, mustard, olive oil, and seasoned salt in a bowl.
- Handling tuna as little as possible to prevent compacting it, mix well, adding just enough bread crumbs to hold the mixture together.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions; form portions into patties to fit the buns.
- When grill is ready, brush grill rack with vegetable oil; place patties on the rack; cover and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 3-4 minutes on each side for med-rare.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- During last minute of cooking, place 1 slice of cheese on each patty to melt.
- To assemble: spread mayonnaise over the cut sides of the buns; on each bun bottom, place an equal portion of the artichoke hearts, a few greens, and a patty; add the bun tops and serve.