Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a flavourful tomato soup, spiked with capers to make a wonderful light summer soup. From a little soup book by Susannah Blake. I have been known to substitute the sun-dried tomato puree for normal puree or paste, so don't feel you have to rush out and buy any!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato puree
- 1 1⁄4 liters vegetable stock or 1 1⁄4 liters chicken stock
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 4 teaspoons capers, chopped
- fresh basil leaf
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil & gently cook the onion & garlic until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper, puree & stock, & bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables & simmer for a further 10 mins, until tender. Serve with herbs & seasonings!