Recipe by Skipper/Sy
You and your friend have been Island hopping around the Mediterranean and are now visiting the beautiful Greek Island of Mykonos. You have spent a good part of the day walking around the village, photographing windmills, white-washed houses, people, the shoreline… checking out gift shops…. it was a very hot day! So now in the late afternoon you are sitting at a quaint outdoor café overlooking the bay, watching the sail boats go by…the summer breeze is so nice. In the far distance you can hear the tune of "The Lemon Tree" song. A mouth watering tasty shrimp appetizer with lemon and hot spices is just what you have been craving for. You place your order and then you and your friend start singing; "Lemon tree, very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat…". Enjoy!
Top Review by Elly in Canada
Updated review from RSC #7. I prepared the revised version of the recipe, using 1 pound of shrimp, 2 teaspoons of oregano (rubbed to a fine powder)and did not use any salt or ouzo (changes are my personal choice). Much improved Skipper/Sy!!
- 3⁄4 lb large shrimp, shell and tail removed, deveined, cut lengthwise slightly (12 pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or less optional)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (peppercorns ground fine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons kalamata olives, pits removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ouzo (optional)
- 2 lemons, cut up into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cleaned shrimp in a mixing bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, vinegar and toss.
- Make a spice mixture of; 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, tarragon, 1 tablespoon of oregano; set aside.
- On individual plates place some chopped up olives, capers, crumbled feta cheese and lemon wedges on the side.
- Place 3 tablespoons olive oil in a pan, when slightly hot add garlic and chopped tomatoes; Stir for about 30 seconds until garlic smell is released.
- Add shrimp to pan, sprinkle on top of each shrimp part of the spice mixture; When shrimps starts to turn pink, turn them over (only once) and fry second side; add the balance of spice mixture to the top of the shrimp; put some of the garlic/tomato from the pan on top as well; When shrimp on second side appears pink, sprinkle with a generous amount of dry oregano on each shrimp. Place shrimp on top of chopped olives, capers, feta cheese in individual plates.
- From the pan scrap up the tomatoes and spices (add 1-2 tablespoons of water to make it moist). Then add on top and on sides of the shrimps.
- Add some lemon juice to each shrimp and a very tiny amount of ouzo(option).
- Serve and enjoy!
- a) MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT OVERCOOK THE SHRIMP!
- b) This recipe was submitted for the RSC#7 contest. I want to thank everyone for their reviews. I have since then modified the recipe to reflect people's comments, for a better recipe!