Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
You and your friend are sitting at a quaint outdoor café on the Greek Island of Mykonos. The sun is setting and the feel of the summer breeze on your sun tanned skin is so soothing. You have just finished eating a tasty shrimp appetizer, it was mouth watering but a touch on the spicy side. A cold creamy yogurt soup would just hit the spot. Enjoy!
- 907.18 g yogurt, made from whole milk (3.5% milk fat, 2 lbs = 32 oz.)
- cold water
- 473.19 ml heavy cream
- 14.79 ml salt
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 29.58 ml garlic cloves, minced
- 118.32 ml feta cheese, crumbled (French type if possible, less salty)
- 59.16 ml olives, kalamata (pits removed and cut up into pieces)
- 118.29 ml bell pepper (any colors or combo, chopped up)
- 118.32 ml spring onions, cleaned and chopped up
- 118.32 ml pistachio nuts, shells removed and ground up coarsely (not fine)
- For each individual bowls; Put 1/2 cup of yogurt in a bowl and then add 1/8 to 1/4 cup cold water (depending on the thickness desired), 1/8 cup cream, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon minced garlic… all to taste; Then blend until creamy smooth.
- Add to each individual bowl, 2 tablespoons feta cheese, 1 tablespoon olives, 2-3 tablespoons bell peppers, 2 tablespoons spring onions; mix slightly.
- Sprinkle on top 2 tablespoons of ground pistachio nuts.
- Chill prior to serving, enjoy.
- Notes: This soup is best when using whole creamy milk yogurt which can be found in Greek and Middle Eastern grocery stores; or use your own home make yogurt. You can also serve INDIVIDUAL CUPS instead of bowls of this soup. Simply, reduce the amount of ingredients in each cup. Finally, you can add or substitute some of the vegetables. For example, cut up strawberries (add a pinch of sugar in individual bowls), tomatoes or chopped up hard boiled eggs (Arabic style).
This is a yummy recipe, but we didn't add the water to the soup. We thought it tasted better as a dip with potato chips and cut up veggies. We will be making this again.
excellent-easy to make.Liked the fact that you gave individual quantities. I don't like olives so added cucumber. Really tasty
Delicious! I loved the fact that the instructions gave for making this in individual bowls. That was what I did to serve 1 and served it with Kalamata and Tomato Crostini for a wonderful light, summer meal.