Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Need something different to do with that ground turkey in the freezer? This a tasty dish even the kids will enjoy. . .if you let them have any!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces frozen spinach
- 1 cup diced onion (frozen is fine)
- 8 ounces petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chicken bouillon or 1 cup broth
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed basil leaves
- 2 -3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the spinach,onion, and basil with the chicken broth for 10 minutes on medium.
- Brown the turkey.
- Prepare the crust by cutting the shortening into the flour and salt. Slowly add the water so the dough is not too sticky. Roll it out to the size of the pie plate and set aside.
- Once the turkey is browned add the spinach mixture to it and continue to cook on med heat.
- Add the tomato and garlic and cook about 10 minutes or until liquid reduces by about half.
- Add the mozarella and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to lightly greased pie plate.
- Top with crust and bake 35 minutes at 400°F.