Prep 50 mins
Cook 8 mins
DH and I really enjoyed this flavorful orzo salad from my Stonewall Kitchen "Harvest" cookbook. I served it as a side to Bobby Flay's Grilled Quesadillas With Feta, Spinach, and Olive-Lemon Relish 426408, for a nice meatless meal. DH and I agreed that we could see this really being a hit at summer BBQs. Interestingly, while the zip of the vinegar was really nice and pronounced when I served it shortly after making, the flavor was less intense when I had some for leftovers the next day, so I would plan on eating this salad the same day to get the most flavor from it. We didn't make with the edible flowers. We chilled for about 30-40 minutes before serving. Prep time includes chill time in the fridge--I read the directions below to mean chill for 30 minutes before serving it, but maybe I was reading it wrong? Either way it was good!.
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut off the cob
- 1 cup finely chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion (white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil (regular or opal)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar (we used red wine vinegar)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh edible flower, such as fresh nasturtium (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Add the corn, red pepper, olives and scallions and toss well. Add the basil, capers, parsley, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and gently toss. (The salad can be made about 2 hours ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.) Decorate the salad with the edible flowers right before serving.
This is a wonderful orzo salad. Next time I'll add more corn as it gave a great taste. Everything is perfect. I used also red wine vinegar. Thanks Dr. Jenny :) Made for ZWT 9
Great salad! I made 1/2 the recipe and there is enough left that I can have it a few more times (I am the only one in the family that ate it). I used canned corn since it is not fresh corn season and dried basil since I forgot to pick some up at the store. I made this about 3 hours before dinner and it mixed together well; just needed to add a little more salt and pepper before serving. Served with Grilled Quesadillas With Feta, Spinach, and Olive-Lemon Relish 426408 as suggested. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
I cut this in half and used canned (vacuum packed) corn. I found it to be fairly bland after first combining so I added some leftover balsamic dressing from another recipe and found it much more tasty. I think some feta cheese would be a nice addition and perhaps some tomatoes. Thanks for sharing!