Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Take your pick! Serve as an hors' d'oeuvre, a side dish for cold cuts, or a salad for a main course.
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen white pearl onions
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped seedless raisin
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- In a saucepan, put onions in 1-in of water. Add vinegar, tomato paste, olive oil, bay leaf, thyme, salt, black pepper, sugar and raisins.
- Cover. Cook over low heat about 15 minute until onions are barely tender. Do not overcook. Transfer to shallow dish.
- Pour sauce over onions, Cool and sprinkle with parsley. Chill at least 1 hour.
This was very nice! I don't know if we get frozen pearl onions here, so I used fresh 'baby' onions. this did mean I had to cook them a little longer, maybe twenty-five minutes, and even so, DH would have preferred them cooked a little longer, but for me they were fine. Extremely easy to prepare, and a nice side-dish, a gentle flavour that we found very pleasant. Very nice for a Sunday buffet with guests! Thanks, Julie! Made for ZWT5