Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Taking advantage of temporary access to foodandwine.com recipes. Posting this for safe keeping.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole skinless chicken thighs
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered,cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can roman beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, preferably goya,drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole tomatoes, finely chopped,juice reserved
- 12 oil-cured black olives, pitted and quartered lengthwise
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1 large dried red chili (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Add the fennel, onion and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans to coat them with the oil, then add the chopped tomatoes with their juice, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary and chile.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cook over low heat until the juices thicken slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken and water, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 40 minutes; turning the chicken halfway through.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper and serve.
- The chicken stew can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.