This dish is fragrant, tender, and hard to pass up. It also works well as a picnic item, made a day ahead. From the Culinary Institute of America.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken legs with thigh, separated
- 1/2 cup dried prune, halved
- 1/4 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, with juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Combine chicken, prunes, olives, wine, vinegar, oil, oregano, capers, garlic, chili pepper flakes, salt, and bay leaves. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 15 minutes and up to 24 hours. If marinating overnight, combine ingredients in a zip-top bag, seal and refrigerate.
- 3Arrange chicken in a single layer in a casserole dish. Pour marinade over chicken. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the chicken. Transfer the pan to the oven to bake.
- 4Bake until chicken is cooked white throughout and top is golden-brown, 40-50 minutes.
- 5Remove chicken pieces to a plate and top with the remaining pan juices.
- 6Remove bay leaves before sprinkling basil over the chicken. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean-Style Baked Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.0
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 138.6 mg
- Sodium 562.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 34.8 g
- Protein 31.1 g