These stuffed tomatoes make an easy, yet elegant main dish or side dish. Served at room temperature it makes a nice dish for these hot summer days. Very easily put together with a very attractive presentation.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio nut
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 dash salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup tiny cubes feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped kalamata olive
- chopped fresh basil (to garnish)
- Brint the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the orzo, stir, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 7 minutes, stirring as needed.
- While the orzo cooks, combine the basil leaves, garlic, pistachios and parmesan in a food processor. Whirl until well chopped.
- Add the olive oil through the hopper in a thin stream to make a smooth paste, stopping to scrape down the sides a couple of times as needed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the orzo. Toss it lightly with the teaspoon of olive oil and let cool to room temperature.
- With a sharp serrated knife, cut a slice about 2 inched across in the top of each tomato and remove the core. Scoop out the pulp with a small spoon or melon baller, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell.
- Lightly sprinkle the insides of the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Mix the cooled orzo with the Pesto and feta cheese cubes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Stuff each tomato with about a cup of the filling.
- Sprinkle the tops with the olives and garnish with the chopped basil.