Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Feta, walnuts, and spinach in a mushroom. What's not to like!
- 12 medium mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thoroughly defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushroom and save for another use.
- Wipe the mushroom caps with a damp cloth or paper towel and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter together in a small skillet.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat, covered, until tender and lightly colored, about 25 minutes.
- Add walnuts and garlic to onion and cook for another minute.
- Add spinach and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in cheeses, dill, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the mushrooms, cavity side up, in a baking dish.
- Divide the spinach and walnut mixture evenly among the mushroom caps.
- Set baking dish in the upper third of the oven.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until filling is browned and the mushrooms are thoroughly heated.