Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I adapted this from a recipe I saw in Cooking Light magazine, making changes to suit my family's taste preferences.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dried basil, to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves on foil-lined baking sheet, skin side up. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in air-tight container for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, finely chop the 2 bell pepper halves.
- Mix together chopped bell pepper, garlic, cheese, olives, basil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Cut a horizontal slit in thickest portions of each chicken breast to form a pocket (but do not cut all the way through). Spoon the pepper/feta/olive mixture into each pocket. Close the opening with a toothpick. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the top side with dried basil.
- Place chicken on broiler rack, and broil 6-8 minutes each side, or until done (it may take additional time, depending on thickness of the chicken breasts). Remove from oven, loosely wrap with foil and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
We made these chicken breasts for dinner last night and they were easy, fast to make and very tasty. I easily halved the recipe to suit 4 breasts, used a little more feta since I love it, and cheated and used a jarred roasted red pepper as I realized I didn't have a fresh one on hand. I served with roasted eggplant. Thanks!
Outstanding! We loved the combo of feta & olives inside these chicken breasts! I did cut the recipe in half, since there were just 4 of us to enjoy it! I'm already thinking of making the whole thing sometime for a potluck & then slicing each breast into thirds or quarters, for smaller portions! Definitely worth sharing & thank you for posting it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef]
Delicious!! We loved the filling in these quick and easy chicken breasts. I used a little extra fresh basil because I love the stuff, but other than that I made the recipe exactly as written. I served this with recipe #307575 and recipe #429576. Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! Made for ZWT 9 Greece for The Apron String Travelers.