Recipe by Burefan
From the Perricone Promise diet book. Makes 3 main dish servings or 6 side dish servings.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup whole barley
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 6 medium red peppers or 6 medium green peppers
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 2- or 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and ground turkey over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the barley and sauté, stirring often, for a few minutes. Add the water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut off the tops of the peppers with care – they will be used later. Gently remove the cores and seeds to create an empty cavity. Blanch the peppers in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from the water and place upside down on paper towels to drain.
- Roast the sunflower seeds on a baking sheet in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan often. Remove and set aside, leaving the oven on for the peppers.
- When the barley is done, toss it with the sunflower seeds, cheese, herbs, lemon juice, wine, cinnamon, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well and adjust the seasonings to taste. Stuff the peppers with the mixture, put the tops back on, and place the peppers in a baking dish just large enough to hold them upright. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the barley mixture is heated through. Serve immediately.