Recipe by blucoat
This is a lovely, vegetarian make-ahead dish from "Cooking Light" Magazine. It is healthy, has a beautiful presentation and is a great main to prepare in advance for guests. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 2 (8 ounce) French baguettes, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) packagepresliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 (7 ounce) bags Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 cups thinly sliced plum tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 (4 ounce) packagecrumbled feta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese or 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 3⁄4 cup romano cheese, divided or 3⁄4 cup sharp provolone cheese, grated divided
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 bag of spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add remaining spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place half of bread slices in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread spinach mixture over bread. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle evenly with feta and half of Asiago cheese. Arrange remaining bread slices over cheese. Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, milk, and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Pour over bread; sprinkle with remaining Asiago cheese. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Uncover strata; bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Serve warm.