Recipe by Thorsten
Sole is one of the most delicate fish you can get. You should try it whole baked in the oven. Add some flavourful ingredients and you will have an easy to make and delicious Italian styled fish dish. Filleting of sole is very easy and don't be afraid of the bones. There are only a few big ones. This recipe was inspired by Jamie Olivre's "Soglioloa in tre modi", which I found in his book "Jamie's Italy". I loved it from the first reading and changed it only slightly. I like his recipes, because they are inventive and make best use of the ingredients. Serve with the arugula as a salad, white bread and a dry white wine.
- 1 (1 lb) sole, gutted and scaled (about 1 lb)
- 5 -6 potatoes (small to medium sized)
- 3 sprigs rosemary (about 2 inches long each)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (about 3 inches long)
- 10 -15 black olives, pitted
- 1 bunch arugula
- 6 slices pancetta
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven (200°C, 390°F).
- Peel potatoes or just wash them thoroughly. Cut them into thick slices (about 1/4 inch or a little thicker). Mix them in a bowl with a little olive oil.
- Brush a little olive oil on a baking tray. Lay the potatoes in a single layer on the baking tray. The layer of potatoes should fit the size of the sole. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Remove the leaves of 3 sprigs rosemary and sprinkle them onto the potatoes. Half the olives and arrange on the potatoes. Cover potatoes with aluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove aluminium foil and let bake for another 10 minutes to brown the potatoes slightly.
- Meanwhile, cut the pancetta into pieces. Brush the sole lightly with olive oil and salt slightly to taste.
- Put the fish onto the layer of potatoes, arrange pancetta on the sole. Remove the leaves from one sprig of rosemary and sprinkle them above the sole. Put some olive oil onto the sole.
- Bake the sole for about 10 minutes in the middle of the oven. After 10 minutes the fish should almost be done. To brown it a little put tray in the upper part of the oven and broil for just a few minutes (2-5 minutes) longer.
- Meanwhile remove the lower and hard parts of the arugula leaves and put them into a bowl. Flavour 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix flavoured oil with arugula prior to serving. Cut the rest of the lemon into slices.
- Take the fish out of the oven, sprinkle with some arugula leaves and decorate with some lemon slices. Serve fish on baking tray with the rest of the arugua as a salad and some white bread.
- NOTE: you can do this recipe also with other plaice, like flounder.