Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Taste of Home. Posted for ZWT - Greece
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow sweet peppers or 1 1⁄2 cups red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup additional chicken broth
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces cod fish fillets, cut into pieces
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the peppers, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, water, broth, rice, wine or additional chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the shrimp and cod; cover and simmer for 2-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and fish flakes easily with a fork.
Very good low fat/low cal thick and filling soup! I used 1 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper (didn't measure but I think it was about the amount suggested), skipped the wine and used a bit less chicken broth and a bit extra water to make up for the difference. I also think this is going to freeze wonderfully for lunches. Next time I may add some tabascio, but it was fine just the way it was. Thanks for sharing!