Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This goes with the separately posted "Focaccia for the Bread Machine". The bread by itself is really good. This topping puts it into another league, but the amount of work involved puts it into the "special occasion" recipe. It is from Pizza, Focaccia, Flat, and Filled Breads From your Bread Machine. (Cooking time includes rising time.)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs cherry tomatoes or 2 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, cut cherry tomatoes in half or 2 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green bell peppers or 1 mixture of colored bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, cut into 1 inch pieces or 1 1⁄2 lbs other vegetables, can be substituted
- Divide the olive oil between 2 large flat baking pans.
- Place the vegetables in a single layer into the 2 pans.
- Put the pans into a preheated 300 degree oven and bake the vegetables for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until they are golden brown, but not black at the edges.
- You will need to watch the onions most carefully.
- Remove the pans from the oven and cool to lukewarm.
- After the dough has rested, layer the roasted vegetables over the dough.
- Sprinkle with the salt, spices, and olive oil.
- Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for forty minutes or till puffy.
- Bake the focaccia in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or till the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven& cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes or till cool enough to handle.