Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favourite, quick and healthy evening meals. I chop all the vegetables up and pop them in the oven; the rest takes 5 minutes to pull together. I normally grill some lemony chicken to go with it, but it’s delicious on its own.
- 1 large red onion, cut in eights
- 1 red pepper, cut in eights
- 1 yellow pepper, cut in eights
- 1 courgette, cut in 1/4 inch diagonal pieces
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 60 g dried apricots, chopped
- 1 head garlic
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 50 g pine nuts, roasted
- 250 g couscous
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- In a hot oven (200c) put the red onion, peppers, garlic and courgette in an oven proof dish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- When roasted (approx 25 - 30mins )remove and place to one side until couscous ready.
- Turn off oven and put pine nuts in for 5 mins as oven cools down - do not let burn.
- In a heat proof bowl combine the couscous with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, juice and zests of lemon, lime and orange and hot chicken stock. Cover for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and add the apricots, chopped mint and coriander, pine nuts, roasted vegetables and roasted garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I found the couscous really tasty - the mix of condiments, citrus zest and juice, and mint & coriander was really special. I added thym to the vegetables roast, and the result was great. Very tasty!!
I didn't mind this recipe at all. I did add heaps of extra vegetables that I had but a few of them didn't really compliment it (my fault). So don't add roasted beetroot or carrot. The addition of eggplant was good as was cherry tomatoes. The pumpkin was also good but went a little mushy.<br/>They only thing I could fault was that with the liquid as per recipe, I found it a little mushy. I omitted apricots and the pine nuts as I didn't have any. Didn't miss it.
I used this as a main and really lived it. It's delicious, colorful, hearty and marvelous. Don't let the list of ingredients keep you away because it's easy to make and all of those flavors create something wonderful together. Made for PAC, Fall 2012