These make great-looking appetizers. A veggie mixture with a cheese base, baked in individual fluted tart tins. Easy to make. No dough to mess with. Be sure to use firm or very well-drained ricotta or the tarts will be difficult to remove from the tins. Times do not include allowing the tarts to cool for 20 minutes after baking. You can omit the prosciutto to make them vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or to taste)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1 zucchini, cut into 2-inch x 1/4 inch strips
- 2 slices prosciutto, chopped (optional)
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese (use firm or very well-drained ricotta cheese)
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, shredded
- 4 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1Preheat oven 350F degrees.
- 2Lightly grease four 3-inch by 1-inch fluted tart pans. Sprinkle the base and sides of each pan with 1 teaspoon of breadcrumbs.
- 3Make the Topping: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the vegetables are soft (about 5 minutes).
- 4Remove from heat and add proscuitto. Season to taste.
- 5In a bowl, combine the ricotta with the grated cheeses and remaining breadcrumbs. Season.
- 6Press the mixture into the pans and smooth the surface. Sprinkle with basil.
- 7Scatter the vegetable topping over the ricotta mixture, top with olives, then drizzle with the remaining oil.
- 8Bake until the tarts are slightly puffed and golden, about 20 minutes.
- 9Cool completely. The tarts will deflate as they cool.
- 10Carefully remove the tarts from the tins.
- 11Do not refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Ricotta Tarts (Vegetarian Option)
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.1
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 62.3 mg
- Sodium 402.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 18.1 g