Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From recipegoldmine.com. Very easy (crockpot) and very tasty.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (I use a little less)
- 4 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3⁄4 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon . salt, to taste
- Brown rice in olive oil.
- Put V-8 juice in crockpot.
- Add onion, pepper, and garlic.
- Carefully add browned rice to crockpot.
- Brown sausage and add to crockpot; add salt.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours, then cook on LOW for 5 hours.
Many moons ago I had a similar recipe called "Mama's Rice Dish" but was made with hamburger and tomatoes. I like the addition of sausage, and did include a can of tomatoes as well. It sure makes lots! We had it for dinner, lunches the next day, and I froze some too. I'm eating the frozen version for lunch today. I like to make casseroles ahead of time, so like that this freezes well to boot!
I thought this was very easy and flavorful. I've cooked this twice since Christmas and it was wonderful both times! Because of sodium cut backs I left off the salt. Thanks for sharing this great quick recipe! Another Keeper!