Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A great cold salad recipe using the super-food Quinoa! Serve with Seared Chicken with Plum Salsa to make it a complete meal.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, yellow
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, black
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, finely chopped
- 10 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 ounces kalamata olives, cut in half
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts (toasted)
- 10 asparagus spears (blanched and chopped)
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer under running water and drain.
- Bring stock to a boil.
- Add quinoa and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes (until water is absorbed).
- Set aside to cool. Meanwhile prepare vegetables.
- Combine ingredients for the dressing, pour over cooled quinoa and stir to mix.
- Add herbs and vegetables. Stir again. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-6 hours or 24 hours for maximum flavor.