Recipe by Veganized
Very tasty side dish - especially for barbecues! (It can be made a day ahead) - To make it a complete vegan meal, just add chickpeas or baked/grilled tofu chunks. Serve with (vegan)tzatziki.
Top Review by Axelboot
What a superb tasty salad! I found the marinade to be particularly flavourful.
I believe my only modification was to use fresh oranges for the orange juice, as well as toasting the quinoa prior to any boiling (see recipe here for toasting quinoa- really does improve the flavour!).
The salad lasted for about three days in our fridge, and the flavours became more intense over time.
- 236.59 ml quinoa or 236.59 ml bulgur
- 473.18 ml water
- 59.16 ml orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 44.37 ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79-29.58 ml balsamic vinegar or 14.79-29.58 ml wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml brown sugar or 4.92 ml raw sugar
- 2.46 ml garlic powder (or to taste)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 78.07 ml finely chopped sun-dried tomato
- 2 red onions, finely chopped or 8-10 green onions, chopped
- 453.59 g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 170.09 g black olives, sliced
- 177.44 ml pine nuts (toasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer under running water and drain.
- Bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and let it simmer for 10-15 minute (until water is absorbed and quinoa is translucent)
- Set aside to cool. Meanwhile prepare vegetables.
- Combine ingredients for the marinade, pour over cooled quinoa and stir to mix.
- Add herbs and vegetables. Stir again. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-6 hours or more. (Serve at room temperature).