Recipe by Veganized
Very tasty side dish - especially for barbecues! (It can be made a day ahead) - To make it a complete vegan meal, just add chickpeas or baked/grilled tofu chunks. Serve with (vegan)tzatziki.
Top Review by Axelboot
What a superb tasty salad! I found the marinade to be particularly flavourful.
I believe my only modification was to use fresh oranges for the orange juice, as well as toasting the quinoa prior to any boiling (see recipe here for toasting quinoa- really does improve the flavour!).
The salad lasted for about three days in our fridge, and the flavours became more intense over time.
- 1 cup quinoa or 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 -2 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomato
- 2 red onions, finely chopped or 8 -10 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 ounces black olives, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts (toasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer under running water and drain.
- Bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and let it simmer for 10-15 minute (until water is absorbed and quinoa is translucent)
- Set aside to cool. Meanwhile prepare vegetables.
- Combine ingredients for the marinade, pour over cooled quinoa and stir to mix.
- Add herbs and vegetables. Stir again. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-6 hours or more. (Serve at room temperature).