Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This mushroom sandwich comes topped with a luscious Greek-style salad. Make it a meal: Serve with cucumber spears and a glass of Firestone Gewürztraminer.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 portabella mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 4 slices country-style sourdough bread, cut in half (large slices)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced jarred roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups loosely packed mixed baby greens
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mash garlic and salt on a cutting board with the side of a knife until it's a smooth paste. Mix the paste with 1 tablespoon oil in a small dish. Lightly brush the oil mixture over portobellos and then on one side of each slice of bread.
- Combine red peppers, tomato, feta, olives, vinegar, oregano and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl.
- Grill the mushroom caps until tender, about 4 minutes per side; grill the bread until crisp, about 1 minute per side.
- Toss salad greens with the red pepper mixture. Place the grilled mushrooms top-side down on 4 half-slices of the bread. Top with the salad mixture and the remaining bread.
wish there were 10 stars so I could give more of them. I cannot believe only one person has reviewed this recipe! I just had it tonite, and it is on my keeper list permanently! Summer is coming! Get out there and grill these portobellos! You'll love them! We grilled some sweet onion slices, made a spicy mayo using: mayo, chili powder, dash hot sauce, a little lime juice, and cilantro.Don't change a thing or you'll ruin this dish. If you've never had portobello mushrooms, they are so much better then regular mushrooms you won't believe it!Try it! you'll like it! By the way, I used Gorganzola cheese instead of feta. Gave it a wonderful taste.
Great, quick and healthy recipe. I added pepperoncinis to the 'salad' for a bit more bite. I'll definitely add this to my repetoire.