Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
You may use a store bought pizza crust if you don't want to make the dough yourself.
For the crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (rapid-rise if available)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- olive oil, for brushing
For the topping
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 8 ounces artichoke hearts, quartered
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- For the crust:.
- In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook) combine the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast.
- Add the water and oil and mix well.
- If making by hand, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minute by hand, 5-7 by stand mixer).
- Shape the dough into a ball and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Use olive oil to lightly grease a round pizza pan. Roll out the dough and press into the pan. Allow to rest for another 10-15 minutes.
- Brush the crust with olive oil and before adding the toppings.
- While the dough is resting in the pan, brown the meat in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté about 5 minutes (or until translucent).
- Add the cumin, tomato paste, water, salt, and pepper. Simmer 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Layer the meat sauce on the pizza crust, leaving the edge uncovered.
- Top with spinach, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, tomatoes, and Feta cheese.
- Bake in a 400°F for 25-30 minutes until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese crumbles have melted.
We used a home-made crust that we had left over from another recipe. I used ground beef and the rest of the ingredients as specified. As another reviewer suggested, the ground beef didn't do it for us, and I agree this would be better with just the veggies and feta. If you are going to use the ground beef, you might want to add a little more salt. I liked the combination of feta, tomatoes, artichokes and mushrooms (I used portabellas). Thanks!
I did make the crust from scratch and I used whole wheat and white flour mix and it turned out super. The crust deserves 5 stars. I used ground beef and the rest of the ingredients. We felt this would be better without the ground beef, so next time we are just going with the veggies and cheese. Made for ZWT6
This gets 5 stars from my whole family! The crust is thick and softly chewy, mmm (note, I used half whole-wheat flour)... and the ground meat topping with so many heaps of veggies is a great change from the usual pizza. I subbed hearts of palm for the totally unavailabe-to-me artichoke, but this worked well. I also used soy 'ground round' and my own tofu feta! Even with these substitutions, I doubt anybody - omnivore or not - could resist it! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT6.