Recipe by Scarlett516
You may use a store bought pizza crust if you don't want to make the dough yourself.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
We used a home-made crust that we had left over from another recipe. I used ground beef and the rest of the ingredients as specified. As another reviewer suggested, the ground beef didn't do it for us, and I agree this would be better with just the veggies and feta. If you are going to use the ground beef, you might want to add a little more salt. I liked the combination of feta, tomatoes, artichokes and mushrooms (I used portabellas). Thanks!
For the crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (rapid-rise if available)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- olive oil, for brushing
For the topping
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 8 ounces artichoke hearts, quartered
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust:.
- In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook) combine the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast.
- Add the water and oil and mix well.
- If making by hand, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minute by hand, 5-7 by stand mixer).
- Shape the dough into a ball and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Use olive oil to lightly grease a round pizza pan. Roll out the dough and press into the pan. Allow to rest for another 10-15 minutes.
- Brush the crust with olive oil and before adding the toppings.
- While the dough is resting in the pan, brown the meat in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté about 5 minutes (or until translucent).
- Add the cumin, tomato paste, water, salt, and pepper. Simmer 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Layer the meat sauce on the pizza crust, leaving the edge uncovered.
- Top with spinach, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, tomatoes, and Feta cheese.
- Bake in a 400°F for 25-30 minutes until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese crumbles have melted.