Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a delicious savoury pie guaranteed to impress at a special breakfast or brunch! Its a favourite of Karen Brimacombe, one of the authors of the Best of Bridge series! Its too large a large pie for just the 2 of us - so I made half the recipe this morning in a Corning baking dish; it required 60 minutes of baking time. Editted to add comments: Since it would be easier to serve from a springform pan, I recently purchased a half-sized one from Dollarama!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 sweet red peppers, diced
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed dry (I use my ricer)
- 2 (14 ounce) packages frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 12 ounces black forest ham, sliced
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 eggs, beaten & seasoned with
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (for glaze)
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; cook peppers, onions & garlic for about 12 minutes or until all liquid evaporates.
- Remove from heat & stir in spinach; set aside.
- Roll each piece of pastry to 1/8 inch thickness; use 1 piece to line a 10 inch springform pan, leaving excess draped over sides.
- Layer half the ham slices in the bottom, sprinkle half the cheese, spread half the veggies followed by the eggs.
- Repeat these layers.
- Cover with remaining pastry, trim off edges & pinch layers together; cut steam vents in the top & brush with egg glaze.
- Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet in the centre of a preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 45 to 60 minutes or until top is golden & knife inserted in centre is hot when pulled out.
- Let cool for 15 minutes; remove pan sides & cut into wedges.
This is a wonderful dish. Perfect hot or cold, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also great for a picnic. The flavors are distinct and make this altogether a five star rated recipe.
CL I cannot believe I forgot to review this wonderful recipe! It was the main star of our Christmas brunch 2005! Everyone loved it! I used fresh steamed spinach, and a mixture of Swiss and mozzarella cheese, ham and Swiss cheese are great together!! I will definitely make this again! Ooooh, the presentation of this pie is beautiful!!
I had the pleasure of enjoying this dish, and not having to prepare it!!! THank you CL, it was awesome, I will be making it for Christmas brunch