Recipe by JustJanS
A great picnic loaf, posted for Kate in Katoomba. This is really popular whenever I take it somewhere.
Top Review by rondapederson
Excellent picnic fare! I made this sandwich using a loaf of Italian Bread from the Wal-Mart bakery. I made it the night before a roadtrip to visit a group of wineries. There were three other women with me and the portion was good for 4 people. The comments from everyone were very positive. I would definately make this again. The pesto is a must - the artichokes were wonderful and I used black olives as the recipe didn't specify what type of olives to use. I used thick sliced chicken from the deli and all of the flavors worked very well together. Thanks for a great picnic option!
- 1 large crusty loaf bread
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 225 g cooked chicken breasts, sliced
- 25 g baby spinach leaves, finely shredded
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 140 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 85 g artichoke hearts packed in oil, drained
- 85 g salami, sliced
- 55 g olives, pitted
- 15 g butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice a lid from the top of the loaf and set aside.
- Remove and discard the inside of the loaf, leaving a 1cm wall.
- Spread pesto over the inside of the loaf.
- Place half the sliced chicken on base, top with half spinach leaves.
- Add half tomatoes and half the olive oil-season lightly.
- Add layers of cheese, artichokes, top with remaining tomatoes.
- Next lay salami and olives on top and add remaining chicken and spinach.
- Drizzle over the rest of the olive oil and season.
- Butter the lid and replace it on the loaf.
- Wrap the loaf tightly in cling film and refrigerate over night.
- Cut into generous wedges to serve.