Recipe by - Carla -
I don't know how this recipe came to be, I've altered it so frequently I don't even remember my original recipe. My newest alteration? Incorporating sundried tomatoes! My husband says it was my best yet, so I'm posting it. Play around with it, I'd love to hear your honest reviews and comments.
Top Review by Food Snob ;)
WOW, this is really amazing, and I haven't even stopped 'taste-testing' long enough to get the parmesan cheese on! I also used the chicken bouillion. Because my dh doesn't consider it a meal without meat, I also tossed in some left over cooked turkey, tastes great and I'll be serving it with galic bread and a salad! I needed to add that this also is amazing as a cold pasta salad. You may need to drizzle with a bit of olive oil before serving just to moisten the pasta.
- 10 ounces penne (I always use Whole Wheat if possible)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 medium onion, halved & sliced in thin wedges (depending on your love of onions)
- 3 medium bell peppers, halved & sliced in thin wedges (preferably 1 red, 1 orange & 1 green)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (depending on your love of garlic)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 (14 ounce) can kalamata olives, pittted, sliced in half
- 10 -12 pieces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, sliced thin
- 14 ounces feta (cubed or crumbled into 1/4 inch pieces)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, cook penne according to package directions.
- (I sometimes like to add vegetable boullion to the water during cooking to give the penne a little extra flavor); Drain and set aside.
- In a large wok style pan combine onions, peppers, garlic and Italian herbs with olive oil and sauteé until tender crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Mix in the kalamata olives and sundried tomatoes, cook another 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add the cooked penne, feta and freshly ground black pepper to the pan and toss gently to mix.
- Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until feta begins to melt.
- Top each serving with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.