1/1 Photo of Mediterranean Pasta Sauce for Penne
This easy, make-ahead pasta sauce is filled with fresh veggies and is meatless. It's quick to prepare and freezes well. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled (about 1 pound)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Cut zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, onion, and celery into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 2Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta, if preparing at same time as sauce.
- 3In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1T olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 4Add diced vegetables. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 5Add minced garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute more.
- 6Add wine and stir until wine is almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- 7Add tomatoes and juice. With tomatoes,grab and rip hard stem off each tomato and then hand crush the tomato before adding it to the sauce (or you can chop them :).
- 8Add thyme (or oregano), salt, and pepper.
- 9Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- 10Toss with penne and serve!
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Pasta Sauce for Penne
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.6
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 414.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g