Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This easy, make-ahead pasta sauce is filled with fresh veggies and is meatless. It's quick to prepare and freezes well. Enjoy!
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled (about 1 pound)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Cut zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, onion, and celery into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta, if preparing at same time as sauce.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1T olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced vegetables. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute more.
- Add wine and stir until wine is almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice. With tomatoes,grab and rip hard stem off each tomato and then hand crush the tomato before adding it to the sauce (or you can chop them :).
- Add thyme (or oregano), salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Toss with penne and serve!
This is easy and healthy. I rated it 4 stars as I felt it was a little acidic. I´m not sure what to add to counter the acidity. But all the same I liked it and would make again.
Really great! I made a couple small changes though. Used green pepper instead of red, chicken broth instead of wine, add a can od fire-rosted diced tomatoes, a little tomato paste, and tomato puree, and simmered it till everything was just tender. We had it over linquine, with Parmesan and a mozzarella/provolone blend. Thanks!