Recipe by Annisette
Makes a colorful and tasty side dish or light main dish. It has passed the "husband test" and has also been popular at potlucks. This came from a cooking show I used to watch back in the early 1990's.
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3 -4 Spanish saffron threads
- 2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup black olives (whole)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup roma tomato, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place saffron threads in 2 tablespoons of hot water. Stir around and then set it aside.
- In a large pan or dutch oven, sauté the uncooked rice in the olive oil for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth, green beans, black olives, bell pepper, saffron mixture, white pepper, cayenne, and tomato.
- Cook, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the water is evaporated, stirring occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.