Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Betty Crocker.com. Wouldn't this be perfect sided with a hearty soup?? I would keep the anchovies off, but that's a personal preference.
- 16 ounces frozen white bread dough or 16 ounces whole wheat bread dough (1 loaf)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 (2 ounce) cans anchovy fillets, drained
- 10 oil-cured Greek olives, cut in half and pitted
- Thaw bread dough as directed on package.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in onions; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are very tender.
- Stir in basil and white pepper.
- Flatten dough into rectangle on lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough with floured rolling pin into 14x11-inch rectangle.
- Place on cookie sheet; let stand 15 minutes.
- Spoon onion mixture evenly over dough to within 1 inch of edges.
- Arrange anchovies in lattice pattern on onions.
- Top with olives.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425ºF.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.