Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Eggplant, garlic flavor tomatoes, and a hint of cinnamon.
- 6 ounces dried mostaccioli pasta or 6 ounces gemelli pasta
- 1⁄2 medium eggplant, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding eggplant and zucchini the last 2 minutes of cooking; drain. Return to saucepan; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, for sauce: In a large skillet cook ground meat until brown. Drain off fat. Stir in tomatoes, raisins, basil, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a warm serving platter. Spoon the sauce over pasta mixture. If desired, sprinkle with feta cheese.