Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came from Diabetes Forecast magazine
Make and share this Mediterranean Meatloaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg white
- salt (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 pitted black olives, sliced (kalamata, if possible)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Microwave the carrots and onion on high for 3 minutes (they should be slightly shriveled).
- Mix the microwaved vegetables with the bread crumbs, ground turkey, and egg white. Add salt if using and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, shape the turkey mixture into 2 6x3-inch loaves and place on the foil, bake uncovered, for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tomato sauce by mixing the olives, pepper flakes and crushed tomatoes with their liquid together; microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Remove the meat loaves from the oven; divide the tomato mixture into two equal servings, pour the tomato mixture in equal amounts over the meat loaves.