Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful vegetarian version of meatloaf. It's so scrumptious & delicious. It has just the right touch of balsamic vinegar and sun dried tomatoes - serve with noodles or rice and you have a delightful meal that will please even meat-eater friends :-) I came up with this recipe when I combined two other recipes trying to make a nice filling for stuffed eggplant. But we liked the "stuffing" better alone as a loaf or shaped into a patty.
- 1 large eggplant
- 8 green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 cups canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1⁄2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves or 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- olive oil
- 12 slices tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Peel eggplant if desired. Otherwise, cut eggplant into small cubes. Saute in olive oil until browned and cooked through.
- In a food processor combine sauteed eggplant, chickpeas, garlic, sun dried tomatoes (soaked in water to plump them up), balsamic vinegar, basil, nuts, olives and capers. Pulse until chunky. Scrape down the sides and blend again.
- Shape mixture into mini loaves or patties and place on roasting pan. Top with sliced tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Optional: sprinkle with fresh crumbled feta. Yummy.