Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Thanks to the chefs at Martha Stewart *Living* for this one! All ingredients should be at ROOM TEMP before beginning.
- Beat egg yolks on medium speed until slightly thickened.
- Add lemon juice, mustard, salt; beat one minute.
- Increase speed to medium-high, add 1/2 cup oil ONE TEASPOON AT A TIME (this is very important--or the mayonnaise will "break" ie., separate).
- SLOWLY pour in remaining oils in a steady stream, beating until incorporated (about 10 minutes).
- Fold in water, lemon juice and salt.
- Fold in rosemary or basil.
- Serve at room temp; refrigerate leftovers for up to a week.
- REPAIR TRICK: If the mayo does "break" salvage the mixture by whisking a single (not married!) egg yolk in another bowl, then beat mayo into it a little at a time.
Debber, I think I was too impatient, and the mayonnaise didn't set. I love the color and the flavor and don't fault the recipe. It's me pouring the oil too fast. Great taste! I will still use it, so all is not lost. Thanks for posting. I will have to try it again sometime!