Recipe by BecR
An exotic and tasty combination of fruits, French Nicoise olives, toasted walnuts and fresh mint on a bed of crisp Romaine, dressed with a classic white-wine vinaigrette. Top with king prawns (allow 4 to 5 per person) for a spectacular main dish salad! Adapted from Williams-Sonoma.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, carefully washed and patted dry, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 ripe cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 chopped green onions, including some of the green tops
- 12 -16 french nicoise olives
- 1⁄2 cup broken walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint, plus mint sprigs for garnish
- 2 oranges, in segments (preferably seedless navel oranges)
- 16 -20 cooked jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined (optional)
- 1 fresh lemon, quartered
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons walnut white wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt and pepper. Gradually add the olive oil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Just before serving, add the lettuce, sweet peppers, mangoes, cantaloupe, onions, olives, walnuts, and chopped fresh mint; toss until well mixed.
- Arrange on individual serving plates, and top each salad with 3 or 4 fresh orange segments and 4 or 5 king prawns, plus a lemon wedge and sprigs of fresh mint. Serve at once.