1/2 Photos of Mediterranean Light's Red Couscous (Vegan)
Another delicious recipe from Martha Rose Shulman's 'Mediterranean Light' cookbook with only a few changes. I use this quick recipe often for preparing harissa: Easiest Moroccan Harissa or Hot Sauce. Whole wheat couscous is my preference but standard will work of course. You will easily convince yourself that you're eating Spanish rice because the flavors and appearance are very similar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup couscous (or 3 cups leftover cooked couscous that has been reheated)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon harissa, to taste (I used the entire amount of harissa from the recipe I linked to in the introduction above)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (yes, I cheated and used ketchup)
- 1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup weak vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (we replaced a little bit of the regular paprika with a small pinch of Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seed (lightly crushed in a pestle and mortar)
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1Note: the couscous can be prepared a day ahead.
- 2Directions: Heat up 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat or low-medium heat and lightly brown the couscous; about 5 minutes. Add water-about 1 cup, cover and set aside.
- 3Stir together the harissa with the tomato paste or ketchup, 1/2 cup water or broth, paprika, ground caraway seeds and salt.
- 4In the meantime, heat up the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil on *low* heat and lightly brown the garlic until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- 5Lower the temperature to a simmer and stir in the harissa mixture. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered on low temperature for about 8-10 minutes to allow the flavors to intensify.
- 6After the couscous has sat for about 10 minutes, stir in the harissa mixture. Add the lemon juice and taste for any seasoning adjustments.
- 7Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and garnish with fresh cilantro and lemon wedges.
- 8Serving suggestions: We served the red couscous with sides of freshly steamed corn on the cob, pinto beans, roasted golden beets, a platter of fresh cut up vegetable including carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers and kohlrabi and fresh strawberries for dessert.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Light's Red Couscous (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.0
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 69.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: