Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs 20 mins
Has a mild spicing and a nice combination of vegetables. Great crockpot recipe!
- 1 cup green lentils or 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 6 cups vegetable broth (chicken broth may be substituted)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sort lentils and rinse under cold water.
- Place lentils, onions, celery, carrots, potato, garlic, cumin seeds, lemon zest, and vegetable broth in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add spinach and lemon juice and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes more.
I read recipes for Lentil Soup all day looking for just the right one to take to a Soup Luncheon ..... then I found this one and it was perfect. I used a pound package of lentils and it made a huge pot. Very tasty!! Thanks for posting.
This was delicious! My fiance (the vegetarian) and I (the carnivore) loved it - it was earthy, substantial and flavourful! We made a few tiny adjustments - we used a handful of brown rice instead of the potato, and after the 10 hours of cooking, we added an extra 2 cups or so of broth, and almost double the lemon juice, as well as freshly cracked black pepper. We then cooked it on low for 15 minutes, then on high for another 20-30.