Recipe by Layanette
This was my first endeavor into lentils and it was fabulous, the flavor is wonderful (even though it doesn't seem to have much looking at the ingredients list). I added rice to mine. I revised this from the what would jesus eat cookbook.
Top Review by Blumpkin Pie
I made this a while ago, pureeing the ingredients at the last minute, and portioned out the leftovers to be frozen. To me, it tasted as good as the day that I first made it!
- 2 1⁄2 cups lentils (washed and sorted)
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (to be split in the recipe)
- 1 bell pepper (color is your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the lentils and water in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer while preparing other ingredients.
- Saute the onions in half of the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and saute for a minute or two longer.
- Add the onion mixture to the lentils. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Simmer for 15-20 minutes longer.
- Stir in the cilantro; remove dish from heat.
- Combine the garlic, lime juice and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a food processor or blender and blend well.
- Add garlic mixture and lime juice to the lentil mixture. Mix well and serve.