I love lentils, and this simple recipe makes these nutritious legumes into a quick and tasty meal. Serve on a bed of lettuce, topped with feta cheese and olives and surrounded by tomato wedges and cucumber slices. From "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day" by The Moosewood Collective
- 1 cup lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, not packed in oil
- boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the lentils. In a medium saucepan, bring the lentils, 4 c water, bay leaves, thyme, and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- While the lentils are simmering, cover the sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water in a heatproof bowl and set aside. Combine the celery, peppers, onions, and parsley in a large bowl. In a separate small (non-metallic) bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients until smooth. When the sun-dried tomatoes have softened, drain them and mince. Add to the chopped vegetables.
- Drain the lentils and discard the bay leaves. Let cool, then remove the garlic, mash it, and mix it back into the lentils. Toss the lentils with the vegetables and dressing, and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill to serve later.
I love making lentil salad - this is a really nice one. I like the dijon and thyme flavours together, (I added a little fresh thyme to the finished salad). I like that this uses dried lentils, it doesn't take long for them to cool once they're boiled. I'm leaving this overnight to marry - think it will be even better tomorrow. Another great one from Moosewood! Made for PAC Spring 2010.
Made this for dinner & loved it! Well, THE PICKY ONE picked at it. Very delicious. I served it at room temperature, not having refrigerated it/right after making it. A delicious combo of flavors! Made for PAC 9/08.