Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Military Commissary Clipping
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, large diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (19 7/8 ounce) package Italian sausages (casings removed) or 1 (19 7/8 ounce) packageall natural italian ground sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 lb cooked lasagna noodles
- 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce
- Add oil to pan on medium heat, add onion and garlic.
- Sweat onion mixture until onions are translucent, do not brown.
- Remove and cool.
- Brown ground beef and sausage, drain and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl add ricotta, feta and 3 cups of mozzarella and 1 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs, oregano, thyme and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Mix spinach, sweated onion, roasted peppers and basil into a bowl.
- In a 9x13 pan place 4 noodles overlapping edges and 1 1/4 cup pasta sauce.
- Add 1 cup of beef and Italian mixture over top.
- Next, add 2 cups of cheese mix and 1 cup of spinach, top with noodles then repeat until ingredients are all used.
- Top lasagna with reserved mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hr or until heated thorough.
Absolutely LOVED this lasagna. There are tons of lasagna recipes on this site... what sets this one apart is the Mediterranean twist with the addition of feta & roasted red peppers. To cut some fat calories I reduced the cheeses & noodles abit. I didn't have quite enough spinach so I sub'd some red swiss chard. Great flavours and nice balance of layers, thanks for sharing.