Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This quick sauce for a slow cooked leg of lamb came from a good friend of mine.
Make and share this Mediterranean Lamb recipe from Food.com.
- 2 kg leg of lamb, bone in
- 1 (140 g) can tomato paste
- 250 g sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 dash fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
- Cook the leg of lamb in a slow oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together.
- Pour this mix over the lamb, and cover with a lid or foil.
- Cook for a further 1 1/2 hours in a slow oven.
- Slice the meat thickly and serve with the sauce-it may need to be reduced a little before using.
Great flavours in this lamb roast. Very different to how we normally have a leg of lamb, but we love mushrooms and the idea of having a sauce as well was very appealing. The lamb was tender and it makes oodles of sauce, which was great because it was a perfect 'gravy' over the meat and mashed potatoes. Thanks for posting Jan. =)
As usual for me I generally try the recipe exactly as directed. Then the next time I modify according to taste. This recipie was no different except I put slivers of garlic in the lamb before roasting. The flavor overall was excellent. If I was to change one thing next time it would be simply to cut down the chicken broth. It called for 2 cups of chicken broth. That is about 1 1/3 10oz cans. I opened a second can but found I could have just used one can and still have plenty of liquid for gravy. I did have to reduce the gravy (as the recipe said might happen) after the lamb was done, as it was a bit thin. Over all however a tasty recipie. I served the gravy over a white rice with green beans (my favorite vegie!).
what can i say, nothing but excellant!