Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Inspired by Zea's Hummus Appetizer Platter. Refrigerate time not included. (So good I strongly suggest doubling the hummus recipe since you'll already have on hand the toppings.) Note: I made a remarkable discovery. Adding lemon zest makes for extraordinary so I added it as an optional ingredient. Update: Substituting about half of the olive oil with chickpea juice makes for a fluffier hummus. Note: Since originally posting this recipe, I've come to realize that boiling your chickpeas for about 5 minutes makes for a better end product. Make sure you reserve the juice should you want a thinner hummus.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (simmered for about 5 minutes if desired)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil (can sub part with juice from chickpeas)
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (optional) or 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon shredded lemon zest (optional and if adding cut back on the lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Toppings To Taste
- roma tomato, coarsely chopped
- kalamata olive
- sun-dried tomato, in olive oil (you can also drizzle oil over dip)
- roasted garlic clove
- feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- green onion top, thin sliced
- fresh basil, minced
- light drizzle extra virgin olive oil or oil from sun-dried tomato
- paprika or sumac
- green olive, Basil and Almond Tapenade (Green Olive, Basil and Almond Tapenade)
- sun-dried tomato and kalamata olive tapenade (Sun-Dried Tomato and Kalamata Olive Tapenade)
On The Side
- pita bread, warmed and cut into triangles
- Place all hummus ingredients into a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Add some reserved broth should you desire a thinner hummus.
- Refrigerate for about 1 – 3 hours for flavors to blend.
- Transfer mixture to a serving plate and spread hummus out evenly into a circle. Garnish with the above toppings according to your taste in the order listed. Sprinkle over all with paprika or sumac.
- Serve with warmed pita triangles.
I really enjoyed this with chips. It's the first time my DS has tried hummuus and he couldn't get enough and has asked me to make more. I was stumped as I had no yogurt or sour cream so subbed mayonnaise. It worked just fine. Thanks! Made for PRMR game.
AMAZING!!!! Licked the bowl clean!
Fantastic Hummus recipe -- the best I have tried to date! I doubled the recipe and served it with recipe#427044 (equally delicious). This will be my new "go to" recipe when I want a healthy, delicious appetizer or snack. Thanks for posting this great recipe. Made for Everyday is a Food Holiday tag, October, 2011.