Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This rice side dish is excellent in the spring, when fresh herbs are so abundant and easy to find. Although the recipe calls for basmati rice, I think you could use any long- or medium-grain white rice. Just please adjust the cooking instructions to accommodate your rice selection (and cook the rice according to the package directions).
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules (or 1 bouillon cube)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more or less, to suit)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh herbs (basil is my favorite)
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil; stir in the bouillon. Add the rice and stir several times until it returns to boiling. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and let it simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and let the pan stand undisturbed, covered, for 10 minutes. (Do not lift the lid!).
- In the meantime: In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery, mushrooms and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for 3 minutes (or until the celery and onion are tender). Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the cooked rice, fresh herbs, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper, and stir just until well combined. Serve while still hot.
I made this for the Make It Vegan challenge in ZWT#9 Greek challenge. Excellent! To make it vegan I used Swanson's Flavor Boost(Vegetable) with the water. I used brown basmati rice, so had to cook it about 45 minutes(used 2 cups of water instead of 1 3/4). For the herbs I used basil, oregano, chives, parsley and thyme from the garden. I didn't have button mushrooms so used sliced portobellos. Loved the flavors! Made for team Hot Stuff!
This was such a great way to cook rice. My stove top cooks hot so I always have to watch rice closely. This way it came out perfectly. Loved the flavors in this dish too. Thanks NWG for a nice side dish. Made for ZWT9.
Good recipe! Very tasty. I cooked the rice until the water was absorbed (much longer than 10 minutes).