Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish is a wonderful easy dish, made in foil pouches either in the oven or on the grill. You can use parchment pouches in the oven which work just as well if you prefer that. No clean up and it makes dinner easy. There are a few ingredients, but it doesn't take long at all. Great mediterranean flavor and with either some grilled pita, or a simple box of pita, which takes 6 minutes, this really is a quick dish. I happen to catch fresh mangrove snapper, my favorite, but red snapper is equally good and even tilapia would work for this dish.
- 4 white fish fillets, depending on the size (again Snapper, Tilapia, even Flounder and grouper will work too)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup zucchini, and thin sliced in rounds (about 1 small zucchini)
- 1 cup eggplant (I like to use the small japanese varieties which you can find almost any where these days)
- sliced halved black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄2 cup sliced shallot (or you can use a small onion cut in half and then thin sliced)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 lemons, thin sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt (go easy with the capers and olives)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- quick cooking couscous
- parsley, and olive oil for a garnish
- Vegetables -- Ok, first thing lets prepare your vegetables. In a saute pan, add the eggplant and onion and cook a minute. Now add the zucchini, olives, capers, tomatoes, seasoning (go light on the salt) and just simmer for a few minutes. It will continue to cook in the pouches.
- Fish -- Get a nice sheet of foil about 10 x 10 (for each fillet) so you can fold it up basically like a present so you can add liquid without it leaking. Now, spray in inside of the foil with a little of the pam and place the fish fillet and season with a little salt and pepper if you want (not necessary).
- Topping -- top with fish fillet with a lemon slice, then the tomato vegetable mixture, then pour a little of the white wine on top of the tomatoes. Just wrap up and place on a cookie sheet for the oven or the grill.
- Bake -- 425 middle shelf for 30 minutes. Grill same timing. Depending on the thickness of your fish and the amount of filling it can take 30-40 minutes.
- Couscous -- I like to use broth to cook, but water will be fine. Just in the microwave in the bowl you are serving it in, garnish with a little parsley if you want and olive oil.