Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious, healthy fish chowder prepared without dairy.
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄16 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 lb flounder fillets or 1 lb cod fish fillets or 1 lb halibut fillet, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, fennel seed, garlic, salt, turmeric, pepper, bay leaf and potatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes. Add carrots; simmer 3 minutes. Add zucchini; simmer another 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove 1 cup of the vegetables and broth and puree in a blender. Return puree to thicken soup; Add fish and wine. Simmer, covered just until fish is opaque, about 1 minute.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with Italian or sourdough bread.
This was great soup! And how refreshing to produce a rich, almost creamy-textured soup without a bunch of fattening ingredients. I added the carrots for the initial boiling because I didn't want them to be crunchy. And the zucchini needed a little longer than 3 minutes to soften up. I didn't have any fennel so I subbed tarragon. I used the immersion blender to puree this right in the pot. Garnished with a pinch of shredded Parmesan cheese and black pepper. We loved this soup for our lunch -- it tastes very sophisticated and how can you go wrong with that calorie count?! Thanks!!