Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Food Reference Website, put here to add to my collection of yummy fig recipes!
- 12 medium fresh figs, divided
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper (or mix of red and green)
- 118.29 ml dry sherry
- 59.14 ml water
- 14.79 ml orange juice concentrate
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 9.85 ml orange juice concentrate
- 4.92 ml thyme leaves
- 1892.72 ml mixed salad greens
- 56.69 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 59.14 ml pistachios, chopped and toasted
- In small saucepan, combine the figs and marinade ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut eggplant lengthwise into quarters. Slice one quarter crosswise into thin wedges, about ¼-inch thick. Cut pepper and onion into 1½-inch squares. Remove figs with slotted spoon, reserving marinade and two figs. For the kebabs, alternate eggplant, onion, pepper and figs on skewers. Set aside and prepare dressing.
- Dice the two reserved figs and combine them with ¼ cup reserved marinade; add to Citrus Dressing.
- Grill or broil kebabs 5 inches from heat source, brushing with remaining marinade and turning every 3 minutes. Grill for 6 to 10 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
- Toss lettuce with remaining dressing; place on 4 plates. Sprinkle with cheese and nuts then top with kebabs. Enjoy!
I love the idea of grilling figs, and they turned out very tasty. The only thing keeping me from giving this five stars is that the other veggies on the skewer really didn't pick up the flavor of the marinade and thus didn't have much flavor (other than their own, of course). I think that next time I might salt and press the liquid out of the eggplant, then marinate the whole skewer. The citrus dressing made a nice toss for the salad but I might steal a portion for brushing on the veggies. I really enjoyed this recipe. Made for Veg*n Swap May '09.