I originally saw this recipe on Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals show. I tried it out but ended up having to modify a few things to make it work out better. Her recipe seemed to have too much toppings. Also instead of regular hummus I used garlic hummus.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise, 1 inch thick.
- Brush eggplant steak with extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper on each side.
- Grill 3-4 minutes for small eggplant or 4-6 minutes for large eggplant, turning occasionally, until tender.
- Defrost spinach in microwave, then squeeze dry when cooled.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in skillet.
- Add spinach and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and heat thoroughly.
- Place eggplants on a greased baking sheet.
- Top each steak with a thin layer of spinach mixture, then hummus.
- Toss breadcrumbs, parmesean cheese, and parsley flakes with 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Put breadcrumb mixture on top of steaks then bake til brown, about 5 minutes.